Monday, October 13, 2008

Old Lady League

For the last year, I've been playing indoor soccer in a 30+ women's league. We started out being slaughtered week after week, but we're starting to pull it together. I look forward to the games all week. It's great exercise, fun girl time, and just makes me happy in a way I can't explain. Maybe it's because being a mom has transformed my identity so much I hardly recognize myself sometimes, and playing soccer again links me to my younger, freer self. Maybe that's reaching too far and it's just something I like to do. In any case, I had a bad attitude all day and the game turned my frown upside down.

3 comments:

Alysha said...

Wow I am proud of you. I seriously don't know of another sport that is so demanding of endurance! Keep it up babe. :)

sarah said...

I understand completely! I'm searching desperately for a basketball or soccer or volleyball league. The first time I played ward b-ball a year ago I felt like I had swallowed and whole bottle of happy pills (or 96 oz of Diet Coke, same effect). I LOVE CONTACT SPORTS! I'll try to find a league that has away games in California--I'll see you on the field :-)

Elise said...

Love that!!! I think you are right about the "identity" thing. Of course being a mom is wonderful, but I miss all that stuff too (soccer not really my thing. . . no quick feet here). A little outlet of some kind--better yet, something physical to release those endorphins! Fun for you.