Friday, June 6, 2008

How I Know She's Mine

A traumatic thing happened the night after Lilly was born. After a quick nap, I rang the nurse in the middle of the night to bring Lilly back to the room so I could nurse her. She came in, and with the lights off, did that thing nurses do to new moms where they basically open your gown and shove the baby on your boob. I looked down at this little child, and a few things came to my drugged and sleepless mind:

1. Why is she having such a hard time latching on all of the sudden?
2. She looks a little different. I know newborns change quickly, but...

I glanced over at the roller-crib and, sure enough, the name tag did not say Baby Nielson. I don't remember what I said, but the nurse just about had a heart attack and ran out of the room with the baby. It was pretty awful to have something so horribly scary happen when your supposed to be happily bonding with your new child. It still makes me sick, and sometimes freaks me out to think about a scenario where she is switched and never comes back to me.

As she grows and I find similarities between the two of us, I half-jokingly reassure myself that she is absolutely my child. For example, her crazy hair - definitly my child. Today, she downed a few chips and a fairly large container of guacamole. Clearly there is no mistaking the resemblance - she's mine.

7 comments:

birdie said...

How scary is that?!

Elise said...

Are you KIDDING me? I can't believe that happened to you! Did that nurse ever show her face in your room again? I want more of the story!! Yikes!
Yes, the hair for sure, and funny about the guacamole! :)

Alysha said...

That was truly awful and I felt so sorry that you had to go through that, especially at that time. However, there is no doubt about it-Lily is definitely an Allred and we are so happy she is!

angie said...

how have you been keeping this from me - this is the funniest thing ever (and written so well) i am still laughing...oh, this is funny!

Sherine said...

I love both of your crazy hair..... but it looked nice straight at the wedding!

slymer said...

Okay, so I am at the gym and have made friends with some other moms and one of them who is like 5 ft and 90 lbs said that the other day one of the childcare people tried to send her home with LIAM. She has a baby daughter. The worst part, I still take them to the gym!! Pretty dang funny about the latching on though- have you ever considered wet nursing?? just kidding. MAYBE my nieces or nephews in dire straights..

Susie said...

This actually is Keith doing this comment.
There is nothing as cute as Lilly in the mornings with her "Einstein hair." When we stayed a week to help Tyler with the girls when Mindy went to the spa in Mexico, I would beg Susie not to comb her hair. There is nothing quite like it. And I know Lilly has lots of Allred in her 'cause I think she looks just like Doug.
By the way, for those of you who don't know, Mindy had another similiar experience to the wrong baby episode recently. She woke up and a different baby was trying to latch on. It took her only a second to realize it was Tyler!