Monday, April 11, 2011

Milk Challenge

Today we go in for Naomi's milk challenge with the allergist. I'm bringing in a sippy cup of regular milk, which she will drink (hopefully). Then we watch her for two hours to observe what kind of reaction she has, if any. I can't wait. The thought that we might end this day with an all-clear for her to eat whatever she wants has me giddy. Of course, I'm setting myself up for major disappointment if she has a reaction. Not only that, but I'm setting her up for potentially serious reaction - hello anaphylaxis! I should be a little more scared, but she's had two exposures to yogurt recently with zero reaction, so I'm hopeful.

You see, I noticed within the second or third day of her life that something was off. The nurses, doctors, and specialists all assured me she was fine, but things didn't add up to me. When we finally got our allergy diagnosis, I felt relief that we had an answer, but one fear was replaced by another. I was perpetually scared that she was going to be exposed to something and die. It was really stressful.

Fast forward to the last few weeks. She had an exposure and didn't die. She didn't even get a rash! Then I manage to find a new allergist. One without a three month waiting list. One with a more laid back, intuitive style who is willing to reevaluate her status. I'm feeling a weight lifting. If she's really outgrown her allergy, and outgrown it this soon, it will be like winning the lottery.

No comments: